Tuesday, October 14, 2008

For the Honor Of Stormpike! Or something like that.

As I sit here waiting for the Blizzard Updater to finish it's work I realize this would be a good time to start mine. My "work" that is. See, once the Blizzard Updater is done, I'll be back to goofing off playing World of Warcraft. The "work" I want to get done is some substantiative writing. Something provocative, something that'll evoke anger or sadness or laughter. It's much easier to click the WoW icon instead of logging on to blogger.com and writing something that seems pithy and wise. See, in WoW (World of Warcraft) it's easy to get a sense of accomplishment. Writing is not like that. It's hit or miss. In WoW, I can earn gold, rack up kills and advance my character's skill set. Everytime. When I sit down to write something, sometimes, nothing happens, or should I say nothing gets written. LOTS of things happen. I curse myself for not getting out of the bathtub last night and jotting down the great idea I had for an essay that I can't for the life of me recall now. I wonder what made me think I could write anything that anyone would want to read in the first place. I spend 15 or 20 minutes realizing that it's easier to sit around and say to yourself "Oh sure I could write something compelling if I wanted to..." than to ACTUALLY write something. The sense of accomplishment I get from WoW though is fleeting. It's like the Chinese food of accomplishment. No matter how many honor points you get, an hour later you want more. You NEED more. I don't blame WoW for being a distraction. If it wasn't some MMORPG, it'd be something else. A tv show, a book, a playstation game, lunch with someone I don't even like. Anything other than trying to create something, and failing. That's scary.

I see that Blizzard is done updating, and thank God. This blog was rocketing unsteadily toward that failing I mentioned back there. If you've read this far, please don't give up. I plan to have more interesting things to say in the future. But right now, I've got to go save the Mage Tower from the wrath of the Horde army.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm torn on this. On the one hand, there's a lot to be said for having a work ethic. On the other hand, I know that the best things I write NEED to be written, they run around in my thoughts and won't go away until I put them down on paper.

THAT is the sort of complicated excuse for working that you need, something that makes you seem artsy and thoughtful.